The B.Sc (Ed) degree programme in Computer Science is conceived as a vehicle for teaching, learning and research to produce teachers who have very sound knowledge of the art, science, engineering and technology of computer related hardware devices and software tools who will be able to teach competently at the secondary school level. Furthermore, a qualitative computer education geared towards development from theory to applications that will be beneficial to both the industry and government shall be upheld with a strong desire to achieve an enviable level of professionalism while maintaining sound academic standard.
The objectives of B.Sc (Ed) Computer Science programme are to:
- create in teacher trainees the enthusiasm for computer science capabilities and awareness of recent developments in computer industry with emphasis on state-of-the art technology, industrial practice,infrastructure, entrepreneurship drive and emerging computer driven technology.
- develop in student teachers through computer education a range of transferable applicable skills of Information Technology to all aspects of human endeavors.
- provide a broad and balanced foundation in computer science knowledge and practical skills.
- provide student teachers with knowledge and skills base for further studies in multi-disciplinary studies involving computer science.
- Educate teacher trainees to develop research skills for postgraduate work
The B.Sc (Ed) degree in Computer Science is a four-year programme for UTME candidates and a three-year programme for direct entry candidates that provides teacher trainees with a broad scientific background in preparation for a successful teaching career as wel as giving them a solid academic base upon which they may wish to build more advanced degrees (M. Sc., PhD.). The department place: adequate emphasis on theoretical as well as practical work in the laboratories and during Students Teaching Practice exercise.
1. Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME:
Students through UTME must have at least:
- Credits at SSCE, GCE, NECO or approved equivalent in at least 5 subjects which must include English Language Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and any other one subject from Agricultural Science, Biology or Furthe Mathematics.
- The 5 Credits should be obtained at one sitting or 6 credit at not more than two sittings.
English Language, Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry.
2. Direct Entry
G.C.E. Advanced Level passes or its equivalent in two relevantsubjects which must include Mathematics and any two of the following: Physics, Computer Studies, Chemistry and Further Mathematics; Nigeria Certificate of Education (NCE ) with minimum of merit in three relevant subjects (including Education:
To be eligible for a single Honors B.Sc. (Honors) degree in Compute Science, a student must pass all the prescribed courses and obtain minimum of 179 credits in a 4-year full-time degree programme or 135 credits in a 3-year full-time degree programme .
Regulation on Course Selection
The Department operates a Course Unit system in a 2-semester academic year for the B.Sc (Ed) Computer Science program (full time). Students are required to take a list of approved courses and register a minimum of 15 credits and a maximum of 24 credits in each semester.